Obliviate missing endpage()'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ redux ] Obliviate missing endpage()'s

I have to admit it's been some time since I laid my hands on an MCCodes script, so best practices out the window.
    I would like to give MCCodes developers a useful tip.

How many times haven't you missed a $h->endpage(); initialization? I know I have had my fair share of times.
    When it comes to output buffering for template systems, it's really a nuisance to work with.

So, I've come up with a hack for it...
    MCCodes uses a class named headers for all it's templating needs, and using a bit of OOP knowledge one can automatically "close" a script that doesn't have the endpage() initialization present.

It's called a destructor. It executes automatically every time the class is destroyed, or in human terms, when the script has finished executing.
    One can simply place the endpage() initialization in there, with a logical statement, so that you never get caught of guard by it again.

So here's a little bit of code that could make your life easier... It works on all versions of MCCodes, to my knowledge that is.
    Code:
    <?php

class headers {

// simple $h->endpage missing fix 
       private $page_closed = false;

function __destruct() {
          if (empty($this->page_closed)) 
             $this->endpage();

return true;
       }

// the rest of the script

function endpage() {
          global $db,$c,$userid, $set,$ir;

$this->page_closed = true;

// rest of code
      }
    } // end of headers{}
    It might be useful to some, and not to others.
    But I just thought I would share this age old hack.

Spudinski.
    Last edited by Spudinski; 02-20-2012, 10:18 PM. Reason: I = Fool.

Eh, I think you made a typo in the method name (__destruct?)... Otherwise, good stuff. The original code was not written with PHP 5 in mind, though, hence why something like this isn't already there.
    MCCodes Primary Developer
    http://mccodes.com/

Twitter @Dabomstew

Comment

Originally posted by Dabomstew View Post
      Eh, I think you made a typo in the method name (__destruct?)... Otherwise, good stuff. The original code was not written with PHP 5 in mind, though, hence why something like this isn't already there.
      Thanks for mentioning that silly mistake of mine.

Even if it was written with PHP5 in mind, I get why something like this is not implemented.
      My best guess would be conforming to a specific coding style.

But, please be aware that this is not to discredit MCCodes, it's the other way around actually.
      This is just a simple hack I mostly use on development environments, it's a short-cut method of doing things that isn't possible with the current MCCodes architecture.

Comment

Working...
      X